Wagner Real Estate - Our History
Our History in Havertown...
Joseph Wagner, Sr. moved his family to Havertown in 1918. He lived in three homes on E. Marthart Avenue. The last home he occupied, he built and was at 42 E. Marthart Avenue. He used a Sears Roebuck prefabricated cut and fitted kit to build the house.
42 E. Marthart Avenue
In 1924, Joseph Wagner, Sr. was elected Constable in Havertown and worked with Roy Blackburn, Justice of the Peace, in a collection business.
Joseph Wagner, Sr. worked as a foreman for the PRT (Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company) on the emergency wagon. When the depression occurred, his work week was cut in half. This allowed him the opportunity to open a store at 2126 Darby Road, Havertown in 1928 selling insurance and real estate with Joe Wilson.
In 1930, he opened his own office at 2114 Darby Road, Havertown, later moving it to 2108 Darby Road in 1936. That year, Joseph Wagner, Sr. died and Arthur G. Wagner, at the age of 18, took over the business. His brother, Joseph Wagner, helped out during the evening while attending Medical School. The two brothers served their country in World War II and their sister, Florence Wagner, and mother ran the office while they were away. During the war, the present building 2100-2104-2108 Darby Road came up for sale and the brothers purchased it with the help of their sister.
A. Graham Wagner, Jr. the third generation, joined the firm in 1972 after graduating from Miami University in Ohio. The company was incorporated, and in 1981, A. Graham Wagner, Jr. took over as President.
In 1987, Florence (Flossie) Mueller, (sister of Arthur G. Wagner, Sr.) moved to Hershey's Mill from Harrisburg. She rejoined the office and that was the beginning of Wagner Real Estate's presence in the new Hershey's Mill Adult Community.
In 1990, Wagner Real Estate joined the Coldwell Banker franchise system, becoming Coldwell Banker Arthur G. Wagner Inc.
In 2001, Clayton A. Wagner joined the firm after graduating from Moravian College. His brother, Tyler Wagner, worked for Deloitte & Touche and Merrill Lynch for 2.5 years after graduating from Miami University in Ohio in 2002. Tyler joined Clay at Wagner Real Estate in 2004. Clay and Tyler quickly earned their Associate Broker licenses, being the 4th generation to work in the family real estate business.
In 2005, Wagner Inc. Real Estate became independent again. The firm, with its local knowledge and experience in its prime market areas, Haverford Township and the Hershey's Mill development, wanted to focus on providing more personalized service to these communities.
Fast forward to 2016. Tyler Wagner is now the Broker/Owner of Wagner Real Estate (dropped the Inc.) and Clay and Graham are both Associate Brokers.
Also, in 2016, Wagner Real Estate opened our first Hershey's Mill branch office on-site at Hershey's Mill to better serve our West Chester clients.
With over 86 years of expertise, Wagner Real Estate continues to serve the western suburbs of Philadelphia along with our 35 talented sales associates - all working hard to bring you home!